Cataloging: Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in Cataloging
Module 1—Subject Analysis Principles
page 1 of 8
- Subject analysis applies to both indexing and cataloging
- It deals with the conceptual analysis of an item
- What is it about?
- What is its form/genre/format?
- What controlled subject terms translate into the identified concepts?
Cataloging vs. Indexing
- Looks at the work as a whole to determine its overall content
- Identifies terms that summarize the primary subject focus of the work
- Provides in-depth access to parts of items (chapters, articles, etc.)
Determining the Subject Content
- Examine the subject–rich portions of the item being cataloged to identify key words and concepts