MEDLARS Management Section (MMS)
The primary focus of MMS is database development, management, testing and quality assurance, and training and user support to foster expanded access to health information for health professionals and the general public.
MMS staff collaborate with staff in other areas of NLM's Library Operations Division as well as other NLM Divisions to develop, test and support MEDLINE, PubMed® ,the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS®), and the Value Set Authority Center (VSAC), and provide customer service, training and user documentation for these and other NLM systems. Employees in this section work on terminologies, customer support, technical writing, training, quality control and testing of NLM systems and services. The section is divided into three units with overlapping teams:
- Bibliographic Data Management Unit
- Provides serials support for MEDLINE, PMC, Genbank and Author Manuscript titles
- Coordinates quality assurance and testing of annual year-end processing activities when NLM switches from one MeSH year to the next
- Supports access to NLM data resources and reviews, analyzes and provides statistical data for some of these resources
- MeSH systems and testing, quality control and service support
- Terminology QA and User Services Unit
- Provides quality assurance and testing of terminologies developed and supported by NLM, including RxNorm, SNOMED CT, and the UMLS
- Coordinates development and testing of terminology-related tools and services, including AccessGUDID, DailyMed, the Common Data Element (CDE) Repository, the UMLS Terminology Services (UTS), and the VSAC
- Develops documentation and training and provides user support for terminologies and terminology-related tools and services
- Training and Outreach Unit
- Develops classes and training materials
- Performs outreach and coordination on training efforts
- Teaches and evaluates classes
MMS staff are responsible for the following:
MMS Staff collaborate with the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) and with staff across NLM to develop classes and training materials for NLM products.
- Online Training Materials
The Learning Resources Database helps you search for web pages and videos that will help you learn how to use many NLM products and services.
- Classes and Webinars
Register for live classes using the NNLM site, which lists online classes for NLM and NNLM
- Download Data from the National Library of Medicine
Download MEDLINE/PubMed journal citations; bibliographic records from the NLM catalog; toxicological, chemical or directory data.
- Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
Information about and access to the UMLS and other terminology resources, including the CDE Repository, MetaMap, RxNorm, SNOMED CT, and VSAC and links to UTS featuring Metathesaurus and SNOMED CT® Browsers.
Database Support & Documentation
- NLM Technical Bulletin
The official channel for distributing news and information about NLM systems.
- NLM Products and Services
Listing of NLM Databases and Resources.
- MEDLINE/PubMed Resources Guide
A comprehensive list of NLM resources about MEDLINE and PubMed.
- Customer Service
Find frequently asked questions (FAQs) or send questions and comments about NLM's databases.