Grants and Funding: Extramural Programs (EP)
Resources for Applicants
- Resources for New and Early Stage Investigators
- New NIH Peer Review Videos for Applicants (NOT-OD-19-017), October 2018
- New Grant Application Submission Tips for Success Videos
- NLM Grant Program Overviews. There are several categories of grants and awards available from NLM Extramural Programs. Each link below leads to a summary and complete list of the grants available in that category.
- Grants awarded by NLM Extramural Programs http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/funded.html. A program-by-program list of NLM grants awarded since 1997.
- Fundamentals of NLM Extramural Grants: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/NLM-EPfundamentalsweb-2015.ppt. A Powerpoint slide presentation that introduces the different kinds of grant programs offered by NLM's Extramural Programs Division. This slideshow also describes some features of successful grant applications.
- Frequently-Asked Questions: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/faq.html. Beginning with the Top-10 questions, this FAQ section covers basics of applying for and obtaining grants from NLM.
- NLM FY 2019 Grants Funding Plan: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/Payplan.html. NLM supports as many meritorious competing grant applications as possible, across the array of grant programs it offers. General funding guidelines are established each year based on appropriated funds available.
- Grant Review Lifecycle: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/Lifecycle.html gives an overview of the steps in the grant approval process, from application submission to award.
- Facilities and Administrative Costs: In order to request facilities and administrative costs (sometimes called indirect costs) on a research grant, your organization must have an established, negotiated rate that is accepted by the Department of Health & Human Services. General information about indirect costs rates, including examples of what can be included and an FAQ, can be found at the web site of the DHHS Division of Cost Allocation, //www.psc.gov/financial.html
Prospective grantees that would like to negotiate a rate agreement with the DHHS can contact their respective regional offices at the following site: //www.psc.gov/financial.html
- Tutorials: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/Tutorial.html General Information about NIH grants and grant writing tip-sheets from NIH Institutes. These tutorials are not created by NLM, but the general principles apply to NLM grants.
- Data Safety & Monitoring Plan Requirements
- Human Subjects Research
- Standards and Guidelines for Statistical Surveys
- Revised New and Early Stage Investigator Policies
- Clarification of All Personnel Report in the Revised PHS 2590 (issued 9-25-09)
Deadlines and Forms
- Application Forms: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/Forms.html Provides links to commonly used grant application forms, including the electronic SF424 and paper PHS 398.
- Deadlines and Steps: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/Deadlines.html The application deadlines for NLM grant programs, and basic information about where to send the application.
- Extramural Programs Staff at NLM: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ep/Staff.html For questions about NLM's grant programs and how your ideas fit them, contact a program officer. For questions about budgets and funds, contact grants management staff. Questions about peer review should be directed to the Scientific Review Office.