Convergent Medical Terminology (CMT) Release Files
The files include:
- descriptions that are used as display names for Clinicians in Kaiser Permanente's electronic medical record,
- corresponding patient display names that the members see in their PHR portal, and
- mappings to other terminologies.
For older Convergent Medical Terminology (CMT) Release Files, please see the SNOMED CT Archives page.
2019 CMT Release Files
CMT US Edition Map Set
Release Date: June 7, 2019
This diagnosis list set consists of KP concepts used in the EHR that are mapped to the US Edition of SNOMED CT. There are 22,164 concepts in this file. This file also includes mappings to ICD-10-CM. SNOMED CT concepts are based on the March 2019 US Edition, which includes the January 2019 International Release.
Convergent Medical Terminology (CMT) is a set of clinician- and patient friendly terminology, linked to US and international interoperability standards, and related vocabulary development tools and utilities. Developed by Kaiser Permanente over many years for use within its health-IT systems, CMT now includes more than 75,000 concepts.
In September 2010 Kaiser Permanente, the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organisation (IHTSDO) and the US Department of Health and Human Services jointly announced Kaiser Permanente's donation of their CMT content and related tooling to the IHTSDO. The donation consists of terminology content already developed, a set of tools to help create and manage terminology and processes to control the quality of terminology that is developed. CMT also includes mappings to classifications and standard vocabularies including SNOMED CT.
Additional information about CMT is available as an FAQ.
The CMT US Edition Map Set data file has the following fields:
- Clinician_Friendly_Name – The KP clinician display name of the concept used in KP's electronic medical record.
- Patient_Friendly_Name – The KP patient display name of the concept.
- ICD_10_CM – The ICD10-CM mapping of the concept.
- SCTID – The SCTID of the SNOMED concept.
- Fully_Specified_Name – The fully specified name of the SNOMED concept.
- Module – Concepts that are part of the SNOMED International release are designated as "SNOMED CT Core" and concepts that are managed by the US are designated as "US National Library of Medicine maintained module".
Update and Maintenance
A new version of the subset will be provided by KP and published in the fall and spring, with updates based upon the US Edition of SNOMED CT releases.
NLM distributes both the internationally relevant CMT content (also distributed by the IHTSDO) and the US-specific CMT content. Use of CMT is subject to the license provisions outlined in the License Agreement for Use of the UMLS Metathesaurus which include license provisions relating to SNOMED CT in Appendix 2.
Feedback and suggestions
We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions relating to CMT. Please send feedback to NLM Customer Support.
SNOMED CT Downloads
Last Reviewed: August 27, 2019