The Visible Human Project
Tools for Use with the Visible Human Data Set
- NCI Flicker - method for comparing images from different Internet sources for Visible Human examples.
- Anatomical Structure Viewer - Java applet for visualizing 3D anatomical structures extracted from the Visible Human Male Dataset.
- Visible Human Preprocessing Toolkit for Images - open source, cross- platform alternative to accelerate pre- processing of Visible Human Project images.
- Glyph Imaging - provides web/ network services; scientific services including 3D reconstructions from serial sections; and animation services.
- Edewarp 3D Browser - for manipulation of 2D and 3D biomedical images and related data sructures. Developed at the University of Michigan with support from NIH grants(for SGI and Linux systems only).
- VolView - Interactive and intuitive volume visualization software from Kitware Inc, allows researchers to quickly explore 3D medical images.
- XnView - Picture viewer that can read VHP images directly. Versions are available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux and various forms of UNIX.
- EIKONA3D - 3D digital image processing, analysis/ visualization and modules from Alpha Tec Ltd.
- 3D- Doctor - 3D modelling image processing and measurement software for MRI, CT, PET, microscopy, scientific, and industrial imaging applications.
- Surfdriver - a simple 3D reconstruction package for the PowerMac and Windows95, for rendering 3D models of anatomica structures.
- The Visualization Toolkit - a C++ class library, and Tcl implementation based on the class library.
- - eTDIPS, Vortex, Skeleton climbing, and Mutability - volume rendering, animation, surface-extraction, texture manipulation and shape changing tools from the National Institutes of Health.
- Image FX Loaders for Windows or the Amiga, from young monkey studios.
- Image Vis3D Open source, cross platform volume renderer developed at the University of Utah. It runs on Mac, Windows, Linux, iPhones and iPads.
- SERA - Simulation Environment for Radiotherapy - computational dosimetry and treatment planning software, primarily for neutron radiotherapy.
- UltraVis - free software for volume rendering on PCs, provided by Hewlett-Packard Labs.
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Software for converting RAW image files:
Last Reviewed: January 9, 2020