Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
2015AA UMLS ICD-10-CM Source Information
The International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) is based on the World Health Organization's Tenth Revision, International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10). The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) are the U.S. governmental agencies responsible for overseeing all changes and modifications to the ICD-10-CM.
ICD-10-CM will be the official replacement for volumes 1 and 2 of ICD-9-CM, beginning in October 2013.
ICD-10-CM can be used to code and classify morbidity data from the inpatient and outpatient records, physician offices, and most National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) surveys.
However, the codes are not valid for use until the 2013 implementation date.
The ICD-10-CM consists of:
- a tabular list containing the disease codes, descriptions and associated instructional notations; and
- an alphabetical index to the disease entries.
The Metathesaurus also includes two General Equivalence Mappings (GEM) and one Reimbursement map set:
- ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM (GEM)
- ICD-10-CM to ICD-9-CM (GEM)
- ICD-10-CM to ICD-9-CM (Reimbursement)
ICD-10-CM can be used in a variety of clinical and health care applications for reporting, morbidity statistics, and billing.
ICD-10-CM is updated annually in July.
Metathesaurus Update Frequency
ICD-10-CM is updated annually in the Metathesaurus.
- Classifications of Diseases, Functioning, and Disability [Internet]. Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics; [updated 2010 Jan 04; reviewed 2009 Sep 1; cited 2010 Nov 24]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd.htm
- Classifications of Diseases, Functioning, and Disability [Internet]. Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics; [updated 2010 Jan 04; reviewed 2009 Sep 1]. International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM); [updated 2010 Sep 21; reviewed 2010 Sep 21; cited 2010 Nov 23]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm