Medical School Bulletins, Catalogs, and Yearbooks
Medical School bulletins, catalogs, and yearbooks are other popular sources of biographical information for medical doctors, nurses, and practitioners. These materials can be located by searching under the call number "W 19.5" then setting limits to HMD Collections. Many school bulletin materials contain a generic title heading of "[Collection of publications]" with no specific dates. Additionally, many materials are described as consisting of catalogs, announcements of courses, requirements for admission and other publications relating to the academic program will be found under the above call number. Some of the "annual announcements" list graduates for that academic year. Some materials may include similar publications of individual schools or departments of instruction of the institution.
Selected National Directories
- American Medical Directory. Chicago: American Medical Asso., 1906–1990.
- Butler, Samuel W. The Medical Register and Directory of the United States, 2nd edition. Philadelphia: Office of the Medical and Surgical Reporter, 1874.
- Flint’s Medical and Surgical Directory of the United States and Canada. New York, 1897.
- Hafner, Arthur W. Directory of Deceased American Physicians, 1804–1929: A Genealogical Guide to over 149,000 Medical Practitioners Providing Brief Biographical Sketches drawn from the American Medical Association’s Deceased Physician Masterfile. Chicago: American Medical Asso., 1993.
- Holloway, Lisbeth M., et al. Medical Obituaries: American Physicians’ Biographical Notices in Selected Medical Journals before 1907. New York: Garland, 1981.
- Journal of the American Medical Association, 1883–1960.
- Polk, R. L. Polk’s Medical and Surgical Register of the United States.
Selected National Biographies
- American Men & Women of Science. New York: R.R. Bowker, c1989-.
- Atkinson, William Biddle. The Physicians and Surgeons of the United States. C. Robson, Philadelphia, 1878.
- Gross, Samuel D. Lives of Eminent American Physicians and Surgeons of the Nineteenth Century. Lindsay & Blakiston, Philadelphia, 1861.
- Kaufman, Martin, Stuart Galishoff, and Todd Savitt. Dictionary of American Medical Biography. Greenwood, 1984.
- Kelly, Howard A., and Walter L. Burrage. Dictionary of American Medical Biography: Lives of Eminent Physicians of the United States and Canada from the Earliest Times. Appleton and Co., New York, 1928.
- Stone, Richard Frank. Biography of Eminent American Physicians and Surgeons, Hollenbeck, Indianapolis, 1898.
- Thatcher, James. American Medical Biography or, Memoirs of Eminent Physicians who have flourished in America. To which is Prefixed a Succinct History of Medical Science in the United States, from the First Settlement of the Country. 1828; reprinted Da Capo, 1967.
- Watson, Irving Allison. Physicians and Surgeons of America. Republican Press Assoc., Concord, N.H., 1896.
- Williams, Stephen West. American Medical Biography or, Memoirs of Eminent Physicians, embracing principally those who have died since the publication of Dr. Thatcher’s work on the same subject. Greenfield, Mass., L. Merriam and Co., printers, 1845.
- Barnhart, John Hendley. Biographical Notes upon Botanists, comp. by John Hendley Barnhart and maintained in the New York Botanical Garden Library. Boston: Hall, 1965.
- Biographical Cyclopaedia of Homoeopathic Physicians and Surgeons. Chicago: American Homoeopathic Biographical Association, 1893.
- Biographical Dictionary of Botanists Represented in the Hunt Institute Portrait Collection, Hunt Botanical Library, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Boston, Hall, 1972.
- The Biographical Dictionary of Women in Science: Pioneering Lives from Ancient Times to the Mid-20th Century. Marilyn Ogilvie and Joy Harvey, eds. New York: Routledge, 2000.
- Bradford, Thomas Lindsley, comp. and ed. Biographical Index of the Graduates of the Homoeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania and the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia, including a History of the College and Hospital. A List of all the Graduates Arranged by Years of Graduation. Also a List of the Graduates who are now in the Medical Military Service of the United States. [Philadelphia] Pub. by subscription, 1918.
- Cleaves Biographical Cyclopaedia of Homoeopathic Physicians and Surgeons, Philadelphia, 1873.
- Doctors, Diviners, and Magicians of Ancient China: Biographies of Fang-Shih. Kenneth J. DeWoskin, trans. New York: Columbia University Press, 1983.
- Dutch Medical Biography: A Biographical Dictionary of Dutch Physicians and Surgeons, 1475–1975. G.A. Lindeboom, eds.
- Felter, Harvey Wickes. History of the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1945–1902. Including the Worthington Medical College (1830–1842), the Reformed Medical School of Cincinnati (1842–1845), and the Eclectic College of Medicine (1956–1859), with biographical sketches of members of the various faculties and lists of graduated arranged alphabetically and by classes. Cincinnati, 1902.
- Flloyd, Thomas. Bibliotheca Biographica: A Synopsis of Universal Biography, Ancient and Modern: containing a circumstantial and curious detail of the lives, actions, opinions, writings, and characters of the most celebrated persons, of both sexes, of all ranks, in all countries, and in all ages: alphabetically disposed: particularly emperors, kings, statesmen, generals and admirals ... including also, the personal as well as public history of our sovereigns ... . London, 1760.
- Hes, Hindle S. Jewish Physicians in the Netherlands, 1600–1940. Assen: Van Gorcum, 1980.
- Kaufman, Martin ed. Dictionary of American Nursing Biography. 1988.
- King, William Harvey, ed. History of Homoeopathy and its Institutions in America; their founders, benefactors, faculties, officers, hospitals, alumni, etc., with a record of achievement of its representatives in the world of medicine. New York, Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1905.
- A New and General Biographical Dictionary: Containing a Historical and Critical Account of the Lives and Writings of the most Eminent Persons in Every Nation, Particularly the British and Irish. London: Printed for T. Osborne, J. Whiston and B. White, W. Strahan, T. Payne, W. Owen, W. Johnston [and 7 others in London], 1761–62.
- Sammons, Vivian Ovelton. Blacks in Science and Medicine. 1990.
- Scrivener, Laurie and J. Suzanne Barnes. A Biographical Dictionary of Woman Healers. 2002.
- Strait, N. A. Roster of all Regimental Surgeons and Assistant Surgeons. 1882.
- Thoms, Adah B., comp. Pathfinders: A History of the Progress of Colored Graduate Nurses, with Biographies of many Prominent Nurses. [New York: Printed at Kay printing house, Inc., c1929].
- The United States Military Academy Dental Service: A History, 1825–1920. John M. Hyson, Jr., ed. West Point, N.Y.: United States Military Academy, United States Army, 1989.