MEDLINE Indexing Online Training Course
Category F - Psychiatry and Psychology
Category F contains the MeSH headings in the areas of psychiatry and psychology. It is divided into four subcategories:
- F1 normal behavior and behavioral mechanisms
- F2 normal psychological phenomena and processes
- F3 mental disorders
- F4 behavioral disciplines, psychological techniques and activities
In general, the indexing principles and use of subheadings for Category F are:
- The indexing principles and permitted subheadings for mental disorders are the same as for category C - Diseases.
- The indexing principles and permitted subheadings for the behavioral disciplines are the same as for Categories H1 - Natural Science Disciplines and H2 - Health Occupations.
- The indexing principles and permitted subheadings for the psychiatric and psychological services are the same as for category N2 - Health Care Facilities, Manpower, and Services.
- The indexing principles and permitted subheadings for the diagnostic techniques and tests and therapeutic methods in psychology and psychiatry are the same as the diagnostic and therapeutic methods for Category E- Analytical, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Techniques and Equipment.
Last Reviewed: March 10, 2015