Cataloging and Metadata Management: Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in Cataloging
Module 3— MeSH Browser
Search-related Areas on the MeSH Browser Home Page
3. Search Methods. The browser offers two search methods via a drop down box: FullWord Search and SubString Search.
- FullWord Search looks for complete entry terms only, not strings that are part of a term, word, or sentence
- SubString Search will find records that have a string of characters as a complete term, or embedded in a term, word or sentence
4. Search Buttons. Each search method can be further modified to search by Exact Match, All Fragments, or Any Fragment
- Exact Match finds terms that precisely match your search term regardless of whether the term has upper and lower case characters
- All Fragments finds terms that include all fragments of a search string in any particular order
- Any Fragment finds terms that include at least one fragment of a search string
5. Sort By. Display of the search results can be modified via a drop-down menu:
- Relevance. Based on a computer algorithm
- Name. Sorted alphabetically by the name of the record that contains the term(s) found by the search
6. Results per Page. Display of either 20 or 1000 results per page can also be selected from the drop-down menu.
Last Reviewed: July 25, 2017