Cataloging and Metadata Management: Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in Cataloging
Contrast with LCSH
- LCSH traditionally incorporates topic, geographic, publication type and language in one long subject string
- 650 _0 $a Main heading $x topical subheading $z Geographic location $v Publication Type/Genre $x language.
NLM Data Distribution
- Based on requests from our licensees, NLM distributes its MARC 21 bibliographic records with the subject headings in a form that matches the traditional LCSH subject string
- The subject string creation is done programmatically
- This means that records in OCLC and other databases will look different than the records as seen in NLM’s online files: LocatorPlus and NLM Catalog