Cataloging and Metadata Management: Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in Cataloging
- Publication type headings (PTs) are used to indicate what an item is, as opposed to what it is about
- Publication types are listed in Category V of the MeSH trees
- The complete list of publication types with scope notes can be found here.
- Scope notes provide guidance as to when it is appropriate to use a particular publication type
- A publication type must be applicable to at least 20% of the resource being cataloged
- Multiple publication types may be assigned
- If more than one publication type is appropriate, assign them in order of importance