Cataloging and Metadata Management: Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in Cataloging
Module 3—Selecting the Main Concept: Review Questions
1. If no pre-coordinated term exists for the concepts in the work being cataloged, prefer to use a main heading with a subheading over two main headings.
Using the MeSH Browser, identify a main heading or combination of main headings to describe these concepts:
2. What are the appropriate subject headings to use for a work entitled: Cortisone therapy in dermatology?
3. What are the appropriate subject headings to use for a work entitled: Pathology of Arbovirus diseases?
4. What are the correct subjects to assign to a work on fractures occurring in baseball, soccer, football, hockey?
5. What is the appropriate subject heading to use for a work dealing with: Sodium-free diet?
6. What are the appropriate subject headings to use for a work dealing with: X-chromosome studies of female newborns?
7. True or False: All subject terms are recorded in the MARC 650 field.
8. True or False: For a work entitled “Food and Beverages that Improve Your Health” the appropriate MeSH would be Food and Beverages.