Cataloging and Metadata Management: Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in Cataloging
Module 2— Descriptor Records
- Reference to a descriptor describing the functional aspect of a chemical (pharmacological action) which is often coordinated with the chemical
- Aspirin can be used to treat inflammation, dissolve blood clots, or prevent aggregation of blood platelets so the record contains references to Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal; Fibrinolytic Agents; Platelet Aggregation Inhibitors; Cyclooxygenase Inhibitors; and Antipyretics
NLM Classification #
- The NLM Classification number is shown when a MeSH descriptor points to a single number in the NLM Classification
- The record for Adolescent Health has the NLM Classification number WS 460
- Certain descriptor/qualifier combinations are prohibited. Instead of this combination, a pre-coordinated Descriptor (following the colon) is to be used.
- The qualifier prevention & control cannot be used with the descriptor Accidents; instead of this combination, the descriptor Accident Prevention should be used.